19 June 2006

My latest Obsession...


O.0 I just saw the coolest anime ever! It's a 12 episode series called Loveless, I've seen some good reviews, but when I actually tried to find it, the best I found was here.

This pic is the typical one used in reviews, so I'm guessing it's on the dvd cover. (Soubi left and Ritsuka right) One of the coolest things about loveless is that humans have kitty ears! (apparently they lose them with their virginity) The basic idea is that Ritsuka lost his memory, and the only one there for him was his brother Seimei. Then his brother is murdered, and he leaves him Soubi with orders to protect Ritsuka. Soubi is your typical masochistic/pedophile type... but he's really cool.

The fight scenes are so cool. It takes place in a sort of inter-dimentional zone type thing, and they call them spell battles. Basically, they manipulate words to make things happen. The word manipulation involved in that is very interesting. It's sort of a mixture of comedy, angst, mystery, and action. The only bad part is that it leaves you mad for more answers.

The last episode for instance, consists of Ritsuka having this weird incense-induced dream/vision where all of his friends are killed by Soubi on Seimei's orders. (soubi's earless by the way) It basically ends with him fighting pre-destination and saying he'll create his own. It really is a beautiful and touching story, and it's the kind of show where you experience the frustration along with the main character.

I loved everything about this anime, and I'm greatly hoping they make a second season. It is also a manga (graphic novel). But really, loveless is one of the most touching anime's I've seen yet. (Other favorites including YuYu Hakusho, FullMetal Alchemist, Chobits, works of Miazaki, which include Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle, and hundreds more.

What I found to be one of the greatest things about this was the music. Both the opening and closing were FABULOUS! The opening song: Tsuki no curse is a really cool song. The lyrical translation comes out as follows:

Evil curse of the moon
Come to me from inside a frozen dream

In this world of nothing but empty words
Our love begin to fall apart
But I still I hope someday it will reach your heart
Even if the wounds in your arms run deep
And you hold me tight, so I won't fall
I want to feel these lips of mine melt that strong wish away

Ah, I wonder if even in the past
Beauty and love were made to last
Let's keep walking to a new tomorrow
And a prettier night

Evil curse of the moon
Come to me from inside a frozen dream
Take me far, far away
To a place I've never seen
I don't care where we will go
If we can believe in love
We'll never be alone

While that song is cool, the ending song "Michiyuki" is absolutely AMAZING! It's beautiful! The lyrics translate as follows:

Even if we try
To embrace until
Our souls fill with pain
Still we will not be
Able to become
Only one, again

If, together, we strive
To get close, in the dark
Even kindness begins
To turn into pain
So please deepen our bonds and
Make this sorrow end

From today on, we won't even dare to dream
Holding onto each other filled with despair
And together we'll walk until we reach
The next cruel dawn
I am sure that the words that we want to say
Must be tangible in this world, somewhere
Hiding underneath the shadows of our love
In our silent nights
I'm sure, even now.

The songs are actually sung in Japanese though. The end theme "Michiyuki" has been recorded and uploaded here at youtube.com.
The OP "Tsuki no Curse" can be found here at Youtube as well. They are both great!

Posted by the bright one @ 6:09 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Having only recently discovered this guilty pleasure, I've fallen madly in love with "Ghost in the Shell", "Cowboy Bebop", and somewhat less so with "Full Metal Alchemist".

Also Hayao Miyazaki movies...

:o)

alan

Posted by Blogger alan @ 1:11 PM #
 

I've seen Ghost in the Shell, it was pretty cool, and I got really into it the first season. But after that season ended I never really kept up with it.

I don't know what it is about anime, but I love it!

My cousin and I are going to go to the anime expo in July.

Posted by Blogger the bright one @ 2:27 PM #
 
<< Home

Music

  • Katie Sawicki
  • Nickel Creek
  • Pete Yorn
  • Reading

  • Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Kate Elliot
  • Viewing

  • Basalisk
  • Bleach
  • Naruto
  • House
  • 24
  • Playing

  • Kingdom Hearts II
  • Shining Force Neo